Summertime makes me think of hazy nights, music beats that make your feet move, and cooking outside under the heat of the sun. If you’re channeling your inner-Bob Marley and are in the mood for a Jamaican treat, then this is the perfect summer recipe for you. Close your eyes, take just one bite, and suddenly you can hear the steel drums and island sway.
These burgers can be enjoyed year-round, but are best during the summertime when the fruit and vegetables are in season. Spend your time perusing the local farmer’s market during a hot summer day, and reap the benefits all week long.
Jamaican Mango Burgers
– 1 lb. ground meat (beef, turkey, etc.)
– ¼ cup non-fat plain yogurt
– ¼ cup cilantro
– ¼ cup onion
– 1 cup mango
– 1 jalapeno
– 2 tsp. Jamaican seasoning
– 1 ½ tsp. fresh lime zest
– 1 Tbs. minced garlic
1. Chop (or mince) all of your vegetables and fruit – the size of the bite is your preference.
2. In large bowl, mix yogurt, cilantro, onion, mango, jalapeno, lime zest, garlic, and seasoning.
3. Add in ground meat and mix everything. Don’t over-handle.
4. Form patties and cook over medium-high heat in a pan until cooked to your preference. Be careful not to handle or flip the patties too much; they fall apart easily.