Two weekends ago, I went blueberry picking and potato digging with my love. For a measly $6.00, we were able to enjoy the morning air out in the fields, picking over the almost gone season of blueberries. The memories alone are priceless. We left the farm with two pints of blueberries filled to the brim.
One of my favorite ways to gobble some blueberries is by making Blueberry Oatmeal Scones. On a weekend morning, nothing beats a hot cup of coffee and a warm, fresh scone. Not too sweet, not too dry… just right. Follow the recipe below and you will be cooing praises of this Siren next Saturday.
Don’t forget to always wash vegetables and fruits while you’re baking/cooking. According to Produce Washing 101, it is best to wash berries in a colander under cold water. Let’s not even discuss how tempting it was to pop these little beauties in my mouth while baking.
Blueberry Oatmeal Scones
Yields 8 medium scones
– 1 ½ cup flour
– 1 ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
– ¼ cup sugar
– 1 Tbs. baking powder
– ¼ tsp. salt
– 1+ Tbs. lemon juice
– ½ cup butter, softened
– 1/3 cup milk
– 1 egg
– 1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat over to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, mix flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon juice. Add additional lemon juice, depending on your taste preference.
3. In small bowl, mix butter, milk, and egg.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients; mix thoroughly.
5. Fold in freshly washed blueberries.
6. Scoop batter onto pan, making roughly 8 medium-sized scones. Bake 10-15 minutes.