While the air outside begins to turn crisp and chilly, crockpot recipes are where it’s at. You didn’t receive the memo? Simmer down, I’m here to bring you up to speed.
Pin It Do It Challenge, watch out! Here comes the third pin: Crockpot Sesame Chicken. The original recipe comes from Julie at Table for Two. It wouldn’t be a true challenge if I didn’t alter the recipe to make it my own, as always.
The beauty of this recipe is the flexibility in spicing. Originally, I played it safe with the red hot flakes, but after tasting the finished project, I piled that goodness on!
Mix together honey, soy sauce, ketchup, vegetable oil, minced garlic, diced onion, and red pepper flakes. Mix thoroughly; the honey tends to stick to the bottom. As Michael Jackson said: “Beat it, just beat it.”
Place 4-5 chicken breasts in a crockpot that is set on low. Salt and pepper the hell out of that chicken before pouring your mix over the top.
Mix it all around and make sure your chicken is fully coated. Put the lid on and cook for 3 ½ hours. I checked on the chicken and stirred it around every hour or so. Yes, yes, I know the point of crockpot cooking is to set it and forget it. I’m a perfectionist, no doubt about it.
After you spend the three hours reading all of my old blog posts, it’s time to take the chicken out of the crockpot and put it to the side.
Mix some cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then whisk the cornstarch into the crockpot sauce. Thicker is better, baby.
Place the chicken back into the crockpot and break it up slightly. You don’t want to fully shred the chicken – you’re looking for a nice mix of shredded and chunks. That sounds horrifying, but I’m lacking better adjectives. Cook for another 30 – 45 minutes on low.
Serve over hot rice or noodles, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. The perfect recipe for a cold day when you’re craving Chinese food, but don’t have the money. Or you know, whenever you’d like.
Crockpot Sesame Chicken
– 4-5 chicken breasts
– ¾ cup honey
– ½ cup soy sauce
– ¼ cup ketchup
– 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
– 3 Tbsp minced garlic
– ¾ cup diced onions
– 1 tsp red pepper flakes
– Sesame seeds
– Salt and pepper
1. Mix together honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes.
2. Place chicken breasts in the crockpot on low. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour mixture over chicken breasts; make sure chicken breasts are well coated.
4. Cook on low for 3½ hours, then take chicken out and place to the side.
5. Mix cornstarch and water in a separate side bowl. Whisk cornstarch into crockpot sauce.
6. Place chicken back into the crockpot and break up with a fork. Cook for another 30 – 45 minutes on low.
7. Serve with white rice or noodles, and top with sesame seeds.