Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. This is my first week taking part in WWW, and I am ridiculously excited! Oooh, how I love me some words! (Grammar pun intended.) I foolishly forgot to mark the book while reading to record the sentences these words came from. So instead, for my virgin week, we’ll have to just have a giggle about my first impression of the word.
This week my words come from “The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane” by Katherine Howe, which I recently reviewed. Can I gush and tell you that Katherine Howe herself tweeted and thanked me for reviewing? Okay, too late now, I’ve already gushed.
1. material or refuse floating on water
2. useless or unimportant items; odds and ends
3. a vagrant, penniless population
First impression? Flotsam? JETSAM?! Oh my goodness, this book just took a mermaid spin?! Clearly I was wrong.
1. the act of guarding, protecting, or guiding; office or function of a guardian; guardianship
2. instruction; teaching; guidance
3. the state of being under a guardian or a tutor
First impression? Tutelage… hmph. Wonder if that’s the state people would say they’re in while wearing a tutu?
After those first impressions, let’s all say a round of thanks for Webster.