Get ready to do a celebratory dance in your kitchen when you taste these healthy chicken empanadas! Scrum-diddly-umptious, to say the least. It’s simple to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan as well. Triple win.
Healthy Chicken Empanada Recipe
– 1 lb. chicken breast, shredded
– 1/2 cup broccoli, shredded*
– 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded*
– 1/2 cup carrots, shredded*
– 1/2 cup cauliflower, shredded*
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 minced garlic cloves
– 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
– Olive oil spray
– Package of empanada discs
* – Most grocery stores sell a pre-mixed bag of these shredded veggies if you’re short on prep time.
1. Cook chicken breast and shred as you like (in oven; in crock-pot; on stove top; etc.)
2. Mix the shredded chicken, shredded vegetables, onion, and ginger over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Take one large spoonful of the heated mix and lay it in the center of an empanada. Fold the empanada in half, the seal around the edges. Repeat until all empanadas are full.
4. Spray a pan with olive oil. Cook stuffed empanadas over medium-high heat for roughly 4-5 minutes.
5. Once the empanadas have browned on each side, pour 1+ tablespoons of water into the pan and cover. Get ready to jump back and be careful! The water will try to splash out of the hot pan, and you will get burned if you don’t move quickly. I speak from experience.
6. Finish steam-cooking the empanadas. Take the cover off the pan every 2-3 minutes and check the consistency of the empanadas. When the empanadas become slightly translucent in places, they’re done.
7. Serve with low-sodium soy sauce, minted soy sauce, or straight up!